Vegan Roast and Gravy
We’ve got you covered with this Vegan Roast and Gravy recipe from Australian Women’s Weekly.
Prep + cook time 2 hours 30 minutes (+ standing), serves 6.
What you’ll need:
- ⅔ cup (160ml) water
- ⅓ cup (70g) white quinoa
- 1 extra-large zucchini (350g), halved lengthways
- 1 small leek (200g), white part only
- 1.9kg (3¾lb) whole butternut pumpkin, halved lengthways
- 1 small onion (80g), chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2½ tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 3 teaspoons ground linseed (flaxmeal)
- 2 tablespoons hot water, extra
- ¼ cup (35g) dried cranberries
- ⅓ cup (35g) hazelnut meal
- vegan gravy
- 50g (1½oz) vegan margarine spread
- 1 small onion (80g), chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 cups (500ml) vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon tamari
How to make it:
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F.
- Bring the water to the boil in a small saucepan.
- Add quinoa; reduce heat. Cook, covered, for 15 minutes or until tender; cool.
- Scoop flesh from zucchini using a strong spoon, leaving a 5mm (¼in) border. Reserve zucchini flesh. Trim leek, if needed, to fit inside zucchini.
- Scoop seeds from pumpkin; discard. Scoop flesh from pumpkin, making a cavity large enough to fit zucchini. Reserve pumpkin flesh. Trim zucchini, if needed, to fit inside pumpkin.
- Prick the insides of zucchini and pumpkin with a fork. Process reserved zucchini and pumpkin flesh with onion and garlic until finely chopped.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add processed vegetables, thyme and quinoa; season. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until tender. Cool.
- Meanwhile, to make stuffing, combine ground linseed and the extra hot water in a medium bowl; stand for 10 minutes. Combine linseed mixture with quinoa mixture, cranberries and hazelnut meal. Press some of the stuffing into zucchini cavities. Press leek into one half of the zucchini; cover with the other half. Press remaining stuffing into pumpkin cavities. Place stuffed zucchini in one pumpkin half; cover with the other half. Secure pumpkin together with kitchen string. Brush with remaining oil; season. Wrap in foil; place in a roasting pan. Roast for 13/4 hours. Remove foil and roast, uncovered, for a further 15 minutes or until lightly browned and tender. Stand for 30 minutes.
- Make vegan gravy.
- Thickly slice roast. Serve with gravy.