Chicken and Rissoni Soup
June's lunchbox from Sarah Moore Wellness is a hearty and healthy winter soup!
In the box:
- Nitrate-free ham and avocado wholemeal roll
- Snow peas
- Strawberries + Orange
- Left-over roast vegetables (capsicum, potato, squash, sweet potato, zucchini)
- Chicken and risoni soup
- Devondale UHT milk
Chicken and Risoni Soup
- Extra virgin olive oil spray
- 3 chicken thighs (bone in)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 100g risoni pasta (or macaroni)
- 3 cups salt-reduce chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 tspn dried Italian herbs
- Pepper to taste
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat then lightly spray with olive oil.
- And the chicken and vegetables. Stir often until chicken is lightly browned on both sides.
- Add the stock, water and herbs and simmer for 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the pan with a slotted spoon. Allow to cool slight then cut the meat from the bone and chop or shred into small pieces. Discard the bones.
- Return the chicken to the pan, add the pasta and season with a little pepper.
- Simmer for another 10 minutes until the pasta is cooked and chicken is tender.
Soup will keep for 3 days in the fridge. To freeze portions, make until step 5 then take off he heat and add only the chicken. Once defrosted, add the pasta and simmer for 10 minutes before serving.