Turkey Breast with Cranberry and Pistachio Stuffing
Prep + cook time 1 hour 30 minutes (+ standing), serves 6.
What you’ll need:
- 125g (4oz) baby spinach
- 1/3 cup (45g) dried cranberries, chopped coarsely
- 1/3 cup (45g) unsalted pistachios, chopped coarsely
- 1 cup (70g) fresh breadcrumbs (see tips)
- 1kg (2lb) frozen ready-to-roast turkey breast, thawed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 cup (250ml) salt-reduced chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons brandy
How to make it:
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Place spinach in a heatproof bowl; pour over boiling water, stand 1 minute. Drain; cool under running water. Squeeze small handfuls of spinach to remove excess liquid; chop and place in a medium bowl. Stir in cranberries, pistachios and breadcrumbs; season.
- Place turkey breast on a sheet of baking paper large enough to enclose turkey. Slice breast in half lengthways, without cutting all the way through; open out flat.
- Spoon stuffing over one cut-side of the breast, fold the other side over stuffing to enclose. Brush turkey with oil, season; top with thyme.
- Wrap baking paper around turkey; secure with kitchen string. Place turkey on a large oven tray; roast for 40 minutes.
- Remove string; peel back paper. Brush surface of turkey with some of the cooking juices. Roast, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until golden. Rest turkey, loosely covered, for 10 minutes.
- Combine stock and brandy in a small saucepan. Boil until reduced by half. Serve sliced turkey with the sauce.
Fresh breadcrumbs are best made from bread that is slightly stale, about 3 days old. If you only have fresh bread, leave the slices out on the bench for a few hours to stale. Process bread, with or without crusts, until coarse crumbs form. For extra flavour, wrap 125g (4oz) thinly sliced pancetta or prosciutto slices around the turkey before roasting.